Film always has the risk of not developing into the result you intended for.
Or in this case, the contrary. This was supposed to be a bad shot. The camera shifted just as I released the shutter. However, I never leave an exposed film undeveloped so I did something wacky. I recycled used E6 processing chemicals to develop it.
I use Tetenal’s 3-bath E6 kit for all my colour slides. The kit consists of a first developer, a colour developer and a bleach-fix to complete the process. Only the first developer is tricky because the development time and a constant temperature of 38°C are critical in determining the outcome. I was stingy so the first developer used to develop this slide was its second reuse. Being lazy at the same time, I just let the slide sit in the developer for a long time without the constant temperature bath. The result was an almost transparent slide.
I thought that all was lost until I put the slide on a sheet of card. It actually looked cool. All the imperfections added up to create an effect that resembles a Polaroid transfer. When there’s nothing left to lose, nothing to expect, any result is a satisfactory one – and sometimes lady luck will sprinkle some fairy dust to work some magic!